Mixed Berry + Peach Pie
- 3 lbs. peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from one lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk combined with a splash of water or heavy cream to make an egg wash
- Sugar to sprinkle over egg wash before baking
- 1 double pie crust or packaged pre made pie crust, I like Immaculate Baking Co.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine vanilla sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt. Prep peaches by peeling and slicing thinly and combine with vanilla sugar, cornstarch and salt mixture along with the berries you are using; let sit for 15 minutes. If using your own pie crust, lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out half the dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch glass pie plate and brush with egg wash. Pour in fruit filling.
- Roll out remaining dough to a 12-inch round and place over fruit filling. Trim excess and crimp edges to seal. Brush egg wash over the top of dough and dust with sugar. With pairing knife, cut several small slits on top to vent. Set on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling, about an hour. (Tent loosely with foil if crust browns too quickly. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack, about 3 hours.
COPYRIGHT 2017. CARA CROWLEY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.