When I was a kid, I remember the summers seemingly lasting forever. There was day after day of slow time. Our family would take an occasional trip here or there and us kids had different camps to attend but mostly they were slow days for us to explore and take time off from the school year. One summer day, I remember telling my mom that I was bored and she told me that I will one day I would wish for a day that I was bored. Funny enough, that day has come. The seasons are passing way to fast for my liking and I find myself not taking enough personal time to stop work and smell the roses. This year I made a personal Summer Bucket list of things I would like to do before the summer is over to remind me there is more than work and to take advantage of the longer, warmer days that will soon be over. Sooner than anyone will like school will start again, darkness will come at 5pm and the cold days will make us wish for long summer days again.
Here is my list of 20 items that I wish to accomplish before September. I’ve already done a few of them. I encourage everyone to create a summer “to-do” and ditch their never ending real life “to-do” list every now and again. I don’t think any of us will regret it.
Summer Bucket List
1. Build chicken coop and get chicks. Done!
2. Build raised beds and plant a summer garden. Done!
3. Take more day trips to Mill Valley (my personal favorite little town in Marin), Stinson Beach (done!) and Marin Headlands.
4. Visit Strauss Family Creamery in Marin and take the dairy tour.(http://strausfamilycreamery.com)
5. Take a cake decorating class.
6. Make homemade ice creams from this book. (http://tinyurl.com/nrw4trz)
7. Host a backyard movie night.
8. Bake pies with seasonal fruit.
9. Find and explore new (to me) farmer’s markets.
10. Kayak on Lake Natoma.
11. Make homemade popsicles.
12. Finish decorating and styling my own home (!!)
13. Have my nephews over for playing in the sprinklers and fresh watermelon.
14. Head up the hill to a U-Pick berry farm.
15. Make and can fresh berry jam.
16. Purchase fresh summer flowers once a week.
17. Buy a pretty new bathing suit and big floppy hat and head to the beach.
18. Trade my safe baby pink nail color for bright summery pink, because you only live once.
19. Eat alfresco as much as I possibly can.
20. Ditch my TV for the backyard and watch my flowers, garden and chicks grow.
What fun plans do you have for summer? Do you compile a list of things to do during the season
or just play it by ear?